Saturday 17 November 2018

“Storkules in Duckburg”

Well, whadayaknow? Our next review still has to do with Hercules! Kind of.


This latest episode of DuckTales 2017 isn't the best, but definitely ends up on the better side of the series' decidedly hit-and-miss episodes. Also, I'm not qualified enough to be sure (having never seen the film myself), but I think Ghostbusters enthusiasts may particularly enjoy it. The structure seems very similar.


This episode is primarily about Bobby Moynihan's Louie Duck, which I like. My ranking of the DT17 kids is probably {{Webby > Louie > Huey > Dewey}} — in a show where Scrooge's adventurousness is upped both to ape Don Rosa and to avoid accusations of excessive pro-capitalism, Louie is the one who is most often allowed to be amusingly greedy and miserly. Not that he's just Young-Scrooge, of course — he's much more of a spender and bon viveur than his great-uncle. But the point is, I like Louie. And this episode provided a good character arc for him, as he learns the realities of what being a businessman means, concretely. 


But, of course, Chris Diamantopoulos's Storkules (introduced last season in The Spear of Selene) is the other focus of the episode. He's amusing, although beyond Diamantopoulos's skillful scenery-chewing, and the repetitive gags you can squeeze out of his hero-worship of Donald, I'm not entirely sure what he brings to show that Launchpad didn't. Don't get me wrong, this repeat appearance was fun (I do believe I liked him better here than I did in Spear), but I'm undecided on the ending's implication that Storkules is going to become a semi-regular in Duckburg like Gyro or Fenton. 



It is amusing to see the gag of the Ancient Greek characters relating info through ornate jars carry on from Spear, however. I wonder if the whole thing is a direct allusion to the manner of the narration of Disney's Hercules, or if it's more-or-less-coincidental. 


And he third big thing in the episode (and I know it's all beginning to sound like a lot, but if there's one thing to say for Storkules in Duckburg, it's that it's well-written; all of this comes together very nicely) are, of course, the Harpies. Their designs seem to be a mix between Romano Scarpa's Harpies, Carl Barks's Larkies, and the DuckTales Classic redesign of the latter. 

Far from the verbose oddball-gourmets of Barks, and despite their wearing jewelry, they are here reimagined as nonsentient monsters who single-mindedly try to steal what their victims love most. It's not a bad concept for a DuckTales monster, and I'll give props to the writers for making them agents of the Gods' wrath like they were in the original myths, as opposed to independent agents… but I have two problems with this. 

The first is that, come on, you can't introduce most-prized-possession-seeking monsters into Duckburg (nay, in McDuck Manor!!) and not have them go after the Lucky Dime. The second is that, well, the chatty comic Larkies are iconic and for good reason, and this feels like another Gyro Gearloose situation — the new version's neat, but has diddly-squat to do with the equally-neat original and spoils an opportunity to see them in animation. 

Still, I did like them on their own terms, as I said; and if it had to happen to one particular Barks monster, best it be them than, say, Smorgasbord, since we did see relatively accurate Barksian Harpies in the 1987 series. 


In terms of easter-eggs and mythology-gags (on which DuckTales 2017 has always heavily rely to garner the goodwill/forgiveness of comic-fans), the sharp-eyed may notice, among the portraits in Donald's houseboat, a variation on Barks's famous Tiny-Boat Composition that we have seen iterated over and over and over with a variety of characters and backgrounds, though I'll be darned if I have any idea what it's called;


…one of Storkules's crates bears the words “Donald Fan Art” (marking what is probably the first in-universe use of the word 'fan art' in Ducklore, though I could be wrong); Cape Suzette is mentioned (though I don't know if that still counts as an easter-egg at this point); and, most importantly, the entire climax has the Harpies lift Donald's Houseboat into the air, in a repeat of what they did with the Argo in Barks's Golden Fleecing. I'm a big fan of this, being a big fan of flying boats in general. (You can blame my younger self's repeated viewings of Peter Pan and Return to Neverland.)



Another thing I'd like to note, though it's highly subjective, is that DuckTales 2017's world (call it the 2017 Continuum, Earth-17, whatever) is finally beginning to feel organic. The episode features the returns of Funso's Fun-Zone, Dewey Dew-Night, the aforementioned Cape Suzette, driving that can only be attributed to an unseen Launchpad, cameos by Miss Quackfaster, Glomgold and Officer Cabrera… and where in The Shadow War such things felt like "special winks to the audience" (hey, remember this? and this? and that thing?), here it all mostly all felt natural. Perhaps it's just time, or perhaps the screenwriters are getting better at screenwritin'; probably a little bit of both. Their treatment of Donald is certainly improving, at least, pointing towards the skill-honing hypothesis. 


Beyond that, this episode has all of DuckTales 2017's usual strengths: lively character animation, as seen in the particularly-memorable screenshot above; great voice acting all-around; witty banter. The score continues to be reliable, even if I didn't pick out any particular heights, unlike in the previous episode, The Ballad of Duke Baloney, which had one of the best soundtracks in the series yet (rivaled only, I think, by that of The Shadow War). 

Unless you find the DuckTales 2017 nephews obnoxious (in which case you'd better wait for the Scrooge-centric Christmas episode we've been promised… looks like it'll be a hoot!), I'm definitely recommending this episode. 

Mandatory Post-Scriptum:

…Does Webby look cute in her "1950's family man" outfit, or what? 

6 comments:

  1. Yes, there is some inspiration to Ghostbusters but aside for a commercial there aren't any specific refrecece.

    YES!!! Webby is cute in her costume!

    Storkules seams to taken a lot of inspiration from Batman Brave and the Bold version of Aquaman, who is also made into greek-god type :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVjjbEa2HrE&t=7s

    As well Thor in the Marvel movies to which the episode makes two direct refrences.

    My ranking is Webby>Huey>Louie>Dewie so we are close enough ;)

    Of all the cameos in the episode I didn't care for is Mark Beaks. There was nothing funny or... Beaks about it. Oh, look, it's him. At least BigTimes, Ma Crackshell, Glomgold and Mrs. Quackfaster where doing somethinf that's specific to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that aside from Donald worship (and being super strong and his vocabulary) one more element that makes Storkules diffrent from Lunchpad is the entire hero angle. He's all about being honorable and is all about wanting make other characters feel like heroes, which is a very admire worthy thing. He is also way less stupid then Launchpad in my opinion, if annything his naivity is closer to Launchpad in oryginal Duck Tales then the Homer Simpson Launchpad we have now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Storkules has it stronger, but… I dunno, Launchpad also tries to be noble and heroic. (See: his behavior in The Shadow War, his epic romantic adventures offscreen in the two Cousin episodes.)

      I also don't see much difference in "dumbness" between the two. Is thinking Donald's stove contains serpents and being unable to grasp the concept of business really that different from Launchpad becoming convinced anyone around him might be a mole-monster and being unable to grasp the concept of golf?

      And to be fair, Launchpad's stupidity has been pretty thoroughly rectified, I think, since the early parts of Season 1 that really crossed the line.

      Delete
    2. I would say Storkuless is more childishly naive while Launchpad is more abstract idiocy (both of having shades of the other).

      I would in fact loved to see episode between the two.

      Delete
  3. You are indeed correct, the plot structure of this episode is rather similar to that of Ghostbusters - the music that plays during the "Harpies attacking Duckburg" montage is even similar to the Ghostbusters theme.
    (that tiny-sailboat painting is called A Tall Ship and a Star to Steer Her By, by the way.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with everything you say about the Harpies. How can they not go after the #1 Dime? Fine for what they are, non-sentient mythological threats, but I still miss the Larkies...though, true, at least those got a half-decent adaptation to animation in DT87.

    I'm in the "can't stand these nephews" camp, especially can't stand Louie (yes! I mean Louie! I haven't mixed up the names this time!) and don't find him amusing even if I try to tell myself he's a New Character, so that kept me from liking the episode all that much. Found his business pitch to Scrooge not funny but boring. OK HE JUST WANTS MONEY I GOT IT. Though I'm glad that this episode didn't have him throwing Donald under the bus.

    I suppose the part I liked best was Webby's insistence on getting to know the Harpies, and the way that pays off in the end.

    ReplyDelete

“The War Wagon”

The first thing about the 1967 John Wayne/Kirk Douglas vehicle The War Wagon   (yes, that pun was intentional, thank you)  is that it has o...